Why the FlyLady organization system is perfect for anyone who wants to organize her life. How the FlyLady system can help you feel more motivated and in control through simple routines and habits.
Are you looking for an easy-to-follow system that can help you get organized?
There are so many different ways to approach organization, and the effectiveness of different methods depends a lot on your personality, your life stage, and your energy levels.
In this post I’m going to tell you how the FlyLady system helped me get organized, and why I think it’s the best system for organizing your life.
What Is FlyLady?
FlyLady is actually a person named Marla Cilley.
She created the FlyLady system years ago, and thousands of people use her way of getting organized every day.
The FlyLady system is a set of habits and routines that you perform consistently that help you get your home and life organized.
It relies on “baby steps” that help you slowly build good habits without feeling overwhelmed.
Over time, you build your cleaning, organizing, and decluttering skills and you start to experience a snowball effect of feeling like you’ve got your home and life under control.
If you stick with the Flylady system, it’s amazing!
And if you fall off the wagon, you can always “jump back in where you are.”
The FlyLady system helped me get organized when I was a young adult living in a very small basement apartment that I affectionately called “the cave.”
After I moved in, I realized that I needed to make some big changes.
There was little room in the apartment, my living space was filthy, and I was embarrassed to have anyone over.
I was also a busy teacher, super low on cash, and feeling kind of low for various reasons.
I discovered FlyLady online, and immediately started implementing her advice.
Here’s why it worked for me:
- It was slow-paced. I didn’t have to expend a lot of energy (which I didn’t have at the time) to start to see changes.
- I felt understood. I listened to the FlyLady’s podcasts a lot. She talked us through her various “baby steps,” but also talked about the reasons why getting organized and cleaning was difficult for a lot of people.
- It introduced me to “the timer.” FlyLady recommends setting a timer for ten or fifteen minutes and just working for that small amount of time. That really helped me to stop procrastinating and get motivated.
- No shame. Life happens, and if I missed a day or two of doing FlyLady stuff, I always knew I could just jump right back in.
How the FlyLady System Helps Your Organize Your Life
FlyLady doesn’t talk too much about how to organize with baskets or how to get your paper organized. And that’s okay.
Instead, she helps you set up a good foundation of routines, habits, and motivation that allow you to move on to organize the rest of your house and actually keep it that way.
A big part of this method of getting organized is about changing your mindset, and gaining control of your life.
That, paired with the forgiving nature of the FlyLady system, make it perfect for anyone who wants to get organized, whether it’s your first attempt or your tenth!
You may also like:
- How to Get Started with FlyLady
- Do You Have Can’t Have Anyone Over Syndrome?
- How to Get Started with FlyLady Zone Cleaning
How to Do FlyLady
If you think FlyLady would work for you too, you can start today!
One of the first baby steps you’ll take on is shining your sink.
Read: The Easy Way I Shine My Sink
Watch this video by Diane in Denmark about how to get started with FlyLady:
Learn More About the FlyLady System
If you’re brand new to FlyLady, it helps to know where she’s coming from and learn more about the system.
Here are some resources that can help:
- Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley – A book all about the FlyLady system!
- The Best (and Worst) of the FlyLady – from Life with Dee
- FlyLady Radio – I love to listen to this when I’m working on cleaning my house. It keeps me going! This is a good first episode to listen to if you want to get Back to Basics. These shows are long and sometimes they go off topic, but they’re wonderful for changing your mindset and keeping you company.
- FlyLady’s website – You can find all the details of the FlyLady system on the official FlyLady site.