Ways to get more done during your day by listening to podcasts. Best podcast recommendations, and ideas about how to use them to be more productive.
Do you get bored with the day-to-day repetition of taking care of your home?
Do you wish you had more opportunities to listen to adult conversations?
Are you having trouble staying motivated to do some of your more boring, mundane tasks?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, you might really like listening to podcasts.
What is a Podcast?
Podcasts are audio recordings that get published on a regular basis. It’s like a talk radio show, but you listen to it with your mobile phone or computer. You can even download episodes to your device and listen to them when you aren’t connected to the Internet.
How I Got Hooked on Podcasts
I’ve been listening to podcasts for a years now, and I’ve found that they really help me get more done, and keep me motivated throughout the day. Plus, they’re free!
I started out by listening to the Jillian Michaels Show while I was walking or running. It was a funny podcast, and because they talked about health and fitness, it pushed me to keep going with my exercise. It also helped the time go by faster, and it gave me something to focus on.
I soon realized that I could use podcasts as a tool to encourage myself. I loved listening to the Jillian Michaels Show, so I would only let myself listen to it if I was going for a walk or run. Because I liked the podcast so much, I was motivated to get out and exercise so I could listen to it. I was addicted!
Update: I no longer listen to the Jillian Michaels Show – in fact, I’m not sure if it’s updated anymore. But, since I originally wrote this post, so many new, awesome podcasts have released. Check out my updated recommendations below for some great new podcasts!
When to Listen to Podcasts to Get More Done
- During exercise,
- While folding laundry,
- While washing or putting away dishes,
- While organizing – podcasts are getting me through my current photo organization project!
- While crafting,
- While wrapping gifts,
- While cleaning,
- While doing yard work or gardening,
- If you are super careful, and set the podcast up to play beforehand, while you’re commuting. No looking at your phone while driving!
Ways to Listen to Podcasts
I usually listen to podcasts using my mobile phone.
Sometimes I use my headphones, sometimes I put it on speakerphone.
When I’m outside, or moving around the house a lot, I use a portable speaker.
While driving, my car automatically picks up my cell phone’s signal via Bluetooth.
Check your car’s owner’s manual and see how you can connect your cell phone to your car’s speakers.
How to Find Podcasts
There are thousands and thousands of podcasts to choose from. Sometimes it takes trial and error to find the podcasts that you truly enjoy listening to. I found most of the podcasts I listen to through iTunes or from recommendations from friends.
If you’re just diving into podcasts for the first time, or if you’re looking for something new to listen to, here’s a list of some of the best podcasts out there right now:
- Everything is Alive – Inanimate objects come to life in this creative, fun podcast!
- The History Chicks – Entertaining lessons and stories about some of the most important women in history.
- Sorta Awesome – It’s like talking to a bunch of girlfriends who have great recommendations about everything you care about.
- Inside Trader Joe’s – If you like Trader Joe’s, you will love it even more after listening to this podcast. I’ve found so many awesome products because of this show.
- The Jillian Michaels Show – Motivation and proactive tips for healthy living. Usually pretty funny too. I prefer the older episodes, because I loved Jillian’s old co-host Janice. Not always appropriate to listen to when little ears are around.
- Serial – This is a story about a murder investigation. It’s captivating! Also, not for listening to when the littles are around.
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin – If you love thinking about habits, routines, and happiness, this is a great listen.
These podcasts for organizing are so motivating!
- A Slob Comes Clean – If you feel like your house will never be company-ready, this is the podcast for you. Great tips and advice for taking baby steps to get your home in order.
- Organize 365 – This podcast talks you through how to organize your whole entire house. No joke. The host, Lisa Woodruff, is a professional organizer, a mom, and a great storyteller.
Best Podcasts for Women
- Midlife Matters – “Conversations to encourage women in their middle years.”
- Smart Money Mamas Show – “Join your new best money-savvy mom friends to learn about money without the stress.”
These unique podcasts will hold your attention, or distract you if need be!
- The Popcast with Knox and Jamie
- Dolly Parton’s America
- The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe
- Arc Stories – “True, Personal Stories Told in Person”
Podcasts for People With Online Businesses or Blogs
- Simple Pin Podcast – Un-crazy advice about Pinterest with tips you can implement right away.
- Do It Scared – Not just for online business owners. Inspiration to help you take risks, believe in yourself, and craft a great life.
- The Brilliant Business Moms – Interviews with moms who are balancing their own businesses with taking care of their families. Highly recommended!
- Smart Passive Income and Ask Pat – Pat Flynn hosts both of these podcasts, and they’re full of valuable ideas and advice for anyone who is interested in making money online.
- Problogger – Easy-to-follow steps that will help you build your blog. Includes a challenge to help you increase blog traffic.
So, if you’re looking for a way to liven up your days, consider listening to podcasts to get more done!
It may take some time to find podcasts you truly love, but when you do, they can help you feel more motivated, and be more productive.
Want to remember this list of podcasts? Save this post to your favorite Pinterest board!
More Time Management and Productivity Tips
FREE 10-Minute Tasks to Help You Declutter & Organize!
Get realistic, easy decluttering & organizing task checklists delivered to your inbox each week when you sign up for the Organizing Moms newsletter. Join over 8,000 moms who want less stress, less mess, and a more organized life!