If you’re looking for simple ways to be more organized, increase your energy, and get better sleep, developing the habit of making your bed each day could be part of the solution.
Not many people want to spend the time to make their beds in the morning. If you live alone, or you know that no one will see your bed throughout the day, it’s easy to think of making the bed as an unnecessary task.
However, making your bed can have an immensely positive impact on you. If you think of making your bed as something you do for yourself, it can actually be kind of a treat once you get past the actual task of making the bed.
Benefits of Making the Bed
- Every time you walk past your bed, you’ll see a neat, flat surface. Kind of like when your kitchen countertops are cleared off, it gives the whole room a more orderly look.
- It’s an easy win. Instead of seeing an unmade bed as a task you should probably do, you’ll see your made bed as something you’ve already accomplished. Making your bed can make you feel like you really have your act together.
- You have a place to put things. If you’re folding laundry, going through papers, or anything else, you’ll have a large flat area where you can sort things.
- Going to bed in a bed that’s been made is more relaxing.
- It gives you a sense of control over your home. Your house may be in chaos, but a made bed is something you can control with about 30 seconds worth of bed-making effort.
I haven’t always made our bed, but in the last few months I’ve started doing it every day. Most of the time, the bed isn’t perfectly made. But, the covers and sheets are pulled up, and the pillows are neatly arranged at the head of the bed. It’s much nicer to walk into a room with a made bed!
Looking for more habits you can form to increase your happiness? Check out these articles:
FREE 10-Minute Tasks to Help You Declutter & Organize!
Get realistic, easy decluttering & organizing task checklists delivered to your inbox each week when you sign up for the Organizing Moms newsletter. Join over 8,000 moms who want less stress, less mess, and a more organized life!