Do you love getting ready to go back to school, or does the whole back to school season fill you with dread? Whether your kids are in school or not, the back to school organization season is a perfect opportunity to make some changes in your routine and stock up on supplies.
I’ve always loved the back-to-school season, even when my kids weren’t in preschool. There’s something special about the promise of a new school year, especially when it’s paired with shiny new school supplies.
Whether this is your first back-to-school season, or your tenth, here are some things you can do to get organized for the school year ahead.
Back to School Organization
- Stock up on school supplies. During this time of year, they are ridiculously cheap. If you have kids in school, buy them a few extra supplies to sustain them throughout the year and keep them stored away for later.
- Check out the organizing products for college students. Dorm decoration and organization supplies are usually inexpensive and very cute. This is my favorite time of year to stock up on hangers and sheets for twin beds.
- Brainstorm healthy lunch and snack ideas and stock up on the supplies you’ll need to make them. Whether you’re packing a lunch or not, it’s always good to have a supply of healthy eating options on hand.
- Create a school week meal plan that will work with your family’s schedule. Having mealtime ideas organized will be a big stress-reducer.
- Have everyone get a haircut. At the end of summer, it’s nice to get your hair back in shape after it’s taken a beating from being in the sun for months. If you have boys, you might want to try cutting your kids’ hair at home with clippers – our clippers paid for themselves within one use.
- Organize and declutter clothing. This is a good time to take an inventory of what kinds of clothes everyone has, and what they’ll need to make it through the first few months of school.
- Imagine your ideal schedule. With all of the things you have to do, what types of things would you like to make more time for. Try to find ways to work the important stuff into your schedule.
- Design new routines. Even if they’re just for you. I’ve been trying to implement a consistent morning and evening routine for a while now. The back-to-school season is a perfect time to do it.
- Find a place to store all of the school stuff. We created a storage station for our preschoolers’ backpacks and jackets. If you have older kids, you might want to think about where you’ll keep things like band instruments, supplies for sports, and dirty PE uniforms.
- Enjoy the season. Back to school time is full of new beginnings and excitement. Enjoy the anticipation and celebrate the season while it lasts.
Looking for more back to school organization inspiration? Check out my Back to School Organization board on Pinterest:
FREE 10-Minute Tasks to Help You Declutter & Organize!
Get realistic, easy decluttering & organizing task checklists delivered to your inbox each week when you sign up for the Organizing Moms newsletter. Join over 8,000 moms who want less stress, less mess, and a more organized life!