What to do when you need relief from mom burnout – now!
It’s the end of a long day, and the witching hour has just begun. You’re exhausted, frazzled, overwhelmed, and hungry. And, if one more sibling fight breaks out in your house, you’re going to lose. your. mind.
For weeks now, you’ve felt like you’re running on fumes. Going through the motions, you feel like you just don’t have anything left. Even the smallest everyday tasks seem monumental and you’re desperately hoping you’ll have some kind of a break soon.
Being in the middle of a mom burnout is no fun at all. We feel isolated, worn out, helpless, and frustrated.
So, what can you do to give yourself some relief? Get back to basics.
How to Get Relief From Mom Burnout
- Make sure you’re drinking enough water every day. Being dehydrated saps your energy like crazy. Related to that…
- Don’t wait to use the restroom. Okay, I know this sounds ridiculous, but it really makes a difference! When you’re taking care of kids, it’s easy to put off using the restroom for a really long time. That puts more stress on you, and makes you super uncomfortable. Depending on how old your kiddos are, figure out a way to safely occupy them when you need to visit the bathroom.
- Eat something healthy. Not everything you eat needs to be healthy, but you need to put something into your body that nourishes you. Try to keep a few healthy snacks or meals on hand so you’re not surviving on Goldfish and Cheerios alone.
- Play your favorite tunes. Having your favorite music playing in the house can be a real mood lifter.
- Nap if you get the chance. When your littles are napping, it’s totally okay for you to nap too. Let the housework go, and get the rest you need. Same goes if your kids are older – make sure you’re getting your rest.
- Early bedtimes for all. Putting everyone to bed earlier, including yourself, will help everyone get the rest they need.
- Talk it out. Invite a friend or relative over for coffee. Call someone and tell them how you’re feeling. Sometimes just connecting with someone else can make your mom funk seem a lot less daunting.
- Get ready for the day. Take a shower, put on clothes, and start fresh. Even if it’s in the middle of the afternoon. Just taking the time to get ready can make you feel better.
- Find an escape. A funny book or an interesting podcast can break up your day. I especially like podcasts – they make me feel like I’m having an adult conversation! Even though they’re no substitute for talking with real people, having something else to think about is really helpful sometimes.
- Get outside. Playtime outside can be good for everyone. We get a lot of rain where we live, so sometimes I have the kids put on their boots and we go for “puddle walks.” I let the kids splash in the puddles, we walk around the block, and we get some fresh air.
- Don’t let social media take too much of your time. Often the social media climate can make us feel more agitated. Step away from Facebook, or whatever social media platform seems to suck you in. You’ll gain back hours, and feel much calmer.
If you’re really feeling down, get help from a medical professional. Speaking with a counselor, psychologist, or social worker is also a good idea. We all need extra help sometimes, and getting the advice of a professional can often help you feel better sooner.
15 Days to a Healthier You
If you’re looking for some help with prioritizing your health so you can live a happier, healthier, more joy-filled life, I highly recommend checking out Crystal Paine’s new course, 15 Days to a Healthier You.
I took this course last year, and I was so excited to see that it’s been updated and re-released. It was so helpful to me last year when we were experiencing a lot of stressful health situations in our family.
When you purchase this 15-day course, you’ll get immediate access to …
- 15 daily videos lessons — one for each day of the course.
- Daily projects to help you on your own journey to live a healthier life.
- Some of my favorite recommended resources (links, books, podcasts) to go along with each day’s lesson.
- A PDF workbook including the entire course lessons that you can download and print.
- Access to the 15 Days to a Healthier You Facebook group!
- BONUS access to the original 15 Days to a Healthier You video series! (this is the course I took last year, and it was so motivational!)
Get the help you need to live a stronger, healthier, more joy-filled life today by signing up for 15 Days to a Healthier You today!
Sign up here —> https://products.crystalpaine.com/15DHY/ref/851/
What do you to break out of mom burnout? Please tell us what works for you in the comments!
FREE 10-Minute Tasks to Help You Declutter & Organize!
Get realistic, easy decluttering & organizing task checklists delivered to your inbox each week when you sign up for the Organizing Moms newsletter. Join over 5,800 moms who want less stress, less mess, and a more organized life!