How to organize your paperwork with binders. A great way to have everything easily accessible. Set up your own binder organization system today.
Organizing with binders is a perfect way to tackle paper clutter and make important documents easy to access in case of an emergency.
Do you struggle with losing important paperwork? Is paper clutter getting in the way of your figuring out how to organize your home?
Do you have a stack of important papers on your kitchen counter that you don’t know what to do about?
One solution that works for a lot of people is organizing with binders.
You may also like:
- How to Make a Practical Home Management Binder
- How I Set Up Our Paper Organization System
- How to Set Up a “Command Central” in Your Home
Why Organize with Binders?
For the most part, organizing paperwork in files and filing cabinets hasn’t worked for me.
With the exception of a few frequently-accessed files and files I hope to not have to access again (tax files, etc.), I don’t store paperwork in file folders.
I use binders and accordion files instead.
If you’d like to start using binders for organization, begin by thinking of the paperwork that you need to access a lot, or that you’d like to be able to find quickly.
Those are the items that you’ll want to store in binders.
Organizing With Binders
If you have a lot of paperwork that you’d like to be able to access frequently, it might be helpful to make more than one type of binder. Here are some ideas:
- Home Management Binder – This includes everything you need to be able to access to run your home effectively. Go here to get the printables to make your own home management binder.
- If you just want to organize your important papers, you can try a simple household binder.
- Important Records Binder. Fill this with birth certificates, a copy of your will, marriage certificates, licenses, certifications. It’s not a bad idea to keep this binder locked away in a fire-safe box.
- Warranties and Manuals. A lot of organizing experts say to pitch these, but I just can’t do it. I put them in sheet protectors and store them in this binder along with any proof of purchase we still have.
- Projects Binder. This could be for anything – hobbies, work, a business. I have one for the work I do on this website. It’s nice to have an organized blog binder that I can take to the library with me if I want to get a lot of blogging work done at once.
Binders with Important Information
Create binders for information you want to be able to access easily to show to someone else.
It’s also helpful to create binders for information you might need to take with you out of the house.
Here are some more ideas:
- Family Organizer Binder – If someone has to take over for you, this is the perfect way to give them all of the information they need at once. Great for babysitters or grandparents!
- Recipe Binder – Keep all of your favorites in one place so you can find the recipes you like to make.
- Credentials Binder – If you have certificates, evaluations, or anything else you might need for employment, putting it all together in a credentials binder makes finding what you need easy.
- Travel Binder – Keep information about rewards programs, upcoming trips, TSA Pre-Check, etc. all in one binder so you can be organized for your next travel and make the most of your rewards points.
Organizing with binders works for our family at this season in our lives.
It’s flexible, and easy-to-use. I like how I can grab documents and take them with me to important appointments.
We plan on moving a lot in the next few years, and I’m glad we have all of our essential information consolidated and easy-to-find.
We can take our binders with us in the car so we don’t have to worry about them being lost in the move.
Printable Binder Covers
After years of using my mish-mashed set of binders with different cover designs, I decided to create a set of binder cover printables that looked nice on my shelves. 😉
If you’d like to create your own binder organization system, you can get the printable covers HERE.
More Organizing Resources
- FREE Paper Organization Challenge – Organize all your paperwork once and for all!
- Organize Your Home with a Binder Organization System
- Our Amazing Home Management Planner Printable Set
- The Best Home Filing System for You
What type of paperwork is your biggest organizing challenge?
Want to read more about organizing paperwork? Check out these posts: