Simple home management systems you can start today to make your home run more smoothly. Ditch the chaos and create habits that make everything easier.
If you feel like your house is out of control, you need to start using easy home management systems that will help you get back on track.
While it can be tempting to try to organize and clean everything all at once, that’s usually a recipe for burnout.
By focusing on managing key elements of your home, you can make everything run more smoothly.
And if you’re consistent with keeping up with these habits, you’ll eventually start to see snowball effect that makes other parts of your home and life feel more organized too!
Easy Systems You Need to Use for Home Management
There are a few things that you need to do daily that will keep your home running smoothly.
Systematize these habits, and everything else about managing a home will become easier.
1. Do the Dishes
Having clean dishes makes everything easier.
When your dishes are clean, your kitchen will be usable, and it’s easier to eat at home (which saves money).
If you have a dishwasher, load it up over the course of the day and run it after dinner.
In the morning, put away your clean dishes right away so you have somewhere to put your dirty dishes from breakfast.
After a while, this will become automatic to you, and it won’t seem like such a big chore!
Ideas for Making Doing the Dishes Easier
- Get your family in the habit of putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher instead of in the sink.
- If you have kids, make one of their morning chores be to empty out the dishwasher.
- Use dishwasher pods. I was skeptical about these, but they’re really easy to use. I get the Kirkland brand dishwasher pacs from Costco.
2. One Load of Laundry
Take the stress out of trying to figure out what everyone’s going to wear each morning by running a load of laundry every single day.
Go through all of the steps of doing a load of laundry: wash, dry, fold/hang, and put clothes away.
If you’re doing a load a day, you’ll never get too behind.
Ideas for Making Doing the Laundry Easier
- Use a laundry sorter. Put dirty clothes in the sorter instead of in big laundry bins, and your clothes will already be sorted for you when it comes time to do your laundry. For our sorter, we use one section for jeans, one for colors, and one for whites. You can set up a system that works for the kinds of clothes you wear.
- Use the laundry detergent pods. There’s been a lot less mess in our laundry room since we switched to pods.
- Hang as many of your clothes as possible instead of folding. It makes it easier for you to find your clothes in your closet, and it takes less time.
- Use a sock basket. Go here to learn how – this will save you HOURS!
- Consider storing your kids’ clothes in your laundry area. That way, you don’t spend a lot of time putting their things away (especially little kids), and you always know if they have enough clean clothes.
- Do your laundry steps at the same time each day. For example, I put in a load of laundry in the morning after breakfast, I move it to the dryer after the kids get home from school, and I fold/put away while our kids are getting ready for bed. By doing the steps at the same time every day, I don’t have to worry about forgetting that I have laundry running!
3. Calendar Check + To-Do List
Choose a specific time of day when you’ll do your calendar check and write your to-do list.
I like to do this in the mornings before the kids wake up, but the evenings will work too.
All that matters is that you pick a consistent time to plan each day.
Check your calendar to see what appointments and activities you have scheduled, and write out your to-do list for the next day.
That way, you’ll know what’s coming up for the day ahead, and you’ll have a clear idea of the things you need to get done!
Ways to Make Your Calendar Check + To-Do List Easier
- Set up a digital calendar on Cozi or Google Calendar. That way you can always access it on your phone, and you can enter appointments in real time. Digital calendars also allow you to share your schedule with other people. This is super helpful for planning with other family members!
- Don’t be discouraged if you don’t complete your to-do list every day. Pick 2-3 of your most important tasks for the day and set a goal to get those things done. Anything else on top of that is a bonus!
- Consider using a paper planner to plan out your days. I use my Daily Planning Sheets or an Erin Condren Life Planner.
4. Reset a Small Space
Pick one area of your house that you’ll “reset” each day.
If you’re just starting out, make that space your kitchen!
If your kitchen is running well, everything else will be easier.
Take 10-15 minutes each day and put things away, wipe down surfaces, and put out fresh towels.
Resetting any space gives you a feeling of peace and accomplishment!
Ideas for Making a Reset Easier
- Don’t force yourself to do a reset when you’re exhausted. A lot of the “experts” recommend doing a kitchen reset every night. If you can do it, by all means do it! But if you’re exhausted, do your reset in the morning. Here’s how I do my morning kitchen resets.
- Declutter as you reset. If you run across something you don’t need anymore, get rid of it. Less stuff = less to organize.
- Pair your reset with something you enjoy. Listen to music or a podcast, or watch a favorite show. Call your sister and chat with her while you work. Do something to keep your mind busy while you work.
- Use cleaning supplies you like. It’s worth it to invest in cleaning supplies that you love – it will make you feel more motivated to clean and reset your space.
Related: How to Deal with Clutter Hotspots
Your New Home Management Systems
To keep your home running, implement these four systems:
- Do the Dishes
- One Load of Laundry
- Calendar Check + To-Do List
- Reset a Space
Once you have good systems in place that work for you, you’ll start to notice that they become easier, and even automatic. You’ll have more time to focus on things you’d rather be doing! 🙂
You May Also Like:
- How to Create a Simple Home Management Plan
- Home Management Tips to Make Your Life Easier
- The Best Homemaking Tips from Retro Housewife Goes Green