Do you feel like you’re drowning in clutter? Do you feel disheveled and disorganized? Are you fed up with feeling helpless about the state of your house? Join us for the Get Rid Of It Decluttering Challenge, and get your home back in order. We’re going to work together, a little bit each day, to declutter, tidy up, and get organized.
Get Rid of It Decluttering Challenge Guidelines
- Each task is supposed to be easy and quick. For real. Set a timer for 10 minutes each day and limit yourself to doing that much decluttering to start with. If you feel the urge to keep going after the 10 minute mark, you can. But remember, any progress you make in those first 10 minutes is still good progress!
- Only pull out as much as you can put back in 10 minutes. I’ve done so many decluttering projects where I’ve taken everything out with the intention or organizing it, and I’ve gotten tired and burnt out and abandoned the project. Don’t let that happen to you.
- Focus on progress, not perfection. If your aim is to banish clutter in your home, every little bit of progress you make will get you one step closer to your goal. Don’t get all bent out of shape and grouchy with yourself if your closet isn’t Martha Stewart-esque after one day. Be nice to yourself.
- The tasks can be done in any order you want. You can swap things around. It doesn’t matter as long as you’re doing something every day.
- Try not to skip a day, and don’t double up. You want to keep your momentum going, and you don’t want to get burnt out. One task each day should keep you moving towards your goal.
- Get support! The Organizing Moms Facebook group has been growing in leaps and bounds. There are so many down-to-earth, supportive women in the group that you can share your successes and challenges with. Join our group and let us know how the challenge is going for you!
- Read more about the challenge. FAQs, motivation, and the rationale behind setting a goal to declutter for just 10 minutes.
Today’s Task: Get Rid of Trash (Big and Small)
After the holidays, our homes are filled with all sorts of new things: new possessions, new foods, and all of the new packaging everything came in.
Today, your mission is to grab a trash bag, walk through your house, and throw stuff away. Focus on the areas you see the most first so you’ll be able to notice your progress when you’re done.
Some Items to Throw Away (or recycle if you can/want to)…
- Used wrapping paper
- Holiday treats that weren’t eaten
- Toy packaging
- Receipts you no longer need
- Disposable food/drink packaging items that were left around the house
- Used paper cups, plates, etc.
- Programs from holiday events and services
- Christmas tree (if you’re ready to take it down)
- Empty bottles, toiletries in bathrooms
Remember, you only need to do this for 10 minutes. If you feel like you could spend hours upon hours de-trashing your house and you’re on a roll, go for it! You could even make today’s task into a declutter walk! Just make sure you aren’t taking a lot of stuff out that you’ll have to put back. Stop when you’re tired, and take breaks.
Once you’re done getting rid of the trash, get yourself a drink of water and celebrate a job well done!
FREE 10-Minute Tasks to Help You Declutter & Organize!
Get realistic, easy decluttering & organizing task checklists delivered to your inbox each week when you sign up for the Organizing Moms newsletter. Join over 8,000 moms who want less stress, less mess, and a more organized life!